The NFS is a research institute leading scientific investigations in the Republic of Korea.
We take strides toward forensic science education and aim for the development of new analysis techniques along with rapid and accurate examinations through analysis and interpretation necessary for crime investigations and identification of causes for incidents and accidents as well as engage in various research, analysis and training for scientific criminal investigations.
The NFS is a professional forensic science institute that realizes social justice. As a leading forensic institute, we lead scientific investigations and contribute to the development of forensic science and the realization of social justice by securing a sustainable growth engine for scientific investigations, establishing a high-quality analysis foundation, building a customer-oriented service system and leading global forensic science.
Forensic DNA Division
The Forensic DNA division started DNA analysis services in 1992 for the first time in South Korea and performs forensic identification of victims violent crimes such as murder and rape as well as large scale disasters and accidents such as the Daegu Subway Fire.
- DNA Analysis
- Forensic Biology
- DNA Database
- Smart Lab
Forensic Toxicology Division
The Forensic Toxicology division performs analysis on medicines, poisons, adulterated foods, narcotics, and hallucinogenic and/or harmful chemical substances in various biological samples and on-site evidence related to the identification of the cause of death and examination on regulated substances.
- Medicine Analysis
- Poison Analysis
- Food Analysis
- Narcotics Analysis in Biological Samples
- Analysis on Confiscated Narcotic Drugs
- Narcotics Profiling
- Analysis on Hallucinogenic and/or Harmful Chemicals
Forensic Chemistry Division
The Forensic Chemistry division performs precise examination on the coidentity of industrial products and estimation of the country of origin by using chemical fingerprints through isotopes, trace elements and multi-element analysis.
- Analysis on Micro-evidence
- Chemical Composition Profiling
- Analysis on Blood Alcohol
- Analysis on Hazardous Chemicals
- Analysis on Volatile Substances
Forensic Safety Division
The Forensic Safety division is responsible for examinations related to accident interpretation based on physical and engineering knowledge.
- Safety Accident
Digital Analysis Division
The Digital Analysis division performs restoration, reintegration, and analysis of various digital evidence including mobile phones, hard disks, and memory cards.
- Analysis on Digital Evidence
- Video/Audio reading, Identification of image/sound quality improvement and forgery
- Identification of Biological Information
- Handwriting, Stamp Image & Document
Traffic Accident Analysis Division
The Traffic Accident Analysis division conducts analysis and research on the course of a vehicle, center line invasion, collision speed, escape vehicle, vehicle defect, driver identification, interpretation of passenger movement in minor traffic accidents, and intentional traffic accidents.
- Interpretation of Traffic Accid
- Tracking of a Fleeing Vehicle
- Traffic Crime Analysis
Psychological Forensic Division
The Psychological Forensic Division provides legal assistance by applying psychological principles for various demands of the judicial system, such as crime prevention, investigation, trial and correction fields.
- Analysis of the authenticity of statements
- Psychology Assessment
- Forensic Hypnosis·Forensic Cognitive Tests & Montage Creation
- Crime Analysis
- Psychological Autopsy
Central Forensic Medical Center
The Central Forensic Medical Center provides scientific evidence to solve violent crimes by performing postmortem inspection and autopsy for criminal death cases and examining forensic evidence.
- Autopsy & Postmortem Inspection
- Analysis on Forensic Images
- Forensic medical examinations on human-derived evidence
- Forensic Dentistry & Forensic Anthropology
- Operation of Korea Disaster Mortuary Operational Team (KDMOT)
Since its inception, the NFS has been performing forensic medical and forensic scientific interpretation and analysis on evidence collected from various crime scenes for public agencies including investigative agencies and courts at various levels, as well as police, prosecutors, and military agencies.
RESEARCH & EDUCATION
The NFS has been recognized by KOLAS (Korea Accreditation Organization) for its technical ability and quality as a testing institute and for playing a pivotal role as a customer-centered forensic science testing institute.
- Paper Sudden Infant Death Syndrome in Korea: A Retrospective Analysis of Autopsy-Diagnosed Cases 2017-09-24
- Paper DICOM-based intravascular ultrasound signal intensity analysis: an Echoplaque Medical Imaging Bench study 2017-09-24
- Paper Anthropological Age Estimation with Bone Histomorphometry from the Human Clavicle 2017-09-24
- Paper Postmortem mRNA Expression Patterns in Left Ventricular Myocardial Tissues and Their Implications for Forensic Diagnosis of Sudden Cardiac Death 2017-09-24
- Paper Sex determination from the mandibular ramus flexure of Koreans by discrimination function analysis using three-dimensional mandible models 2017-09-24
The NFS is actively promoting research activities by field for analysis services and improvement of constantly evolving analysis techniques.